October 2, 2010

Another game, another loss for Dawgs

BOULDER, Colo. - As Saturday night's post-game press conference drew to a close, Georgia coach Mark Richt was asked one final, yet poignant question - what now?

After his Bulldogs' 29-27 loss to Colorado, that's a good question.

"There's a lot of things that I can point to that the coaches will be proud of these guys for, but the bottom line in football is wins and losses," Richt said. "Right now, we haven't gotten one in a while."

The Bulldog Nation doesn't need reminded of that.

Colorado's two-point victory marked the fourth straight loss for Georgia (1-4), which now somehow must find a way to regroup before Tennessee comes calling next weekend.

Saturday's loss was typical of the Bulldogs' struggles thus far.

With 1:55 to go, Georgia had a first down at the Colorado 27 and looked to be well on its way to overtaking the Buffaloes. But alas, on the very next play Caleb King fumbled the ball away and the Buffaloes (3-1) were able run out the clock.

"That was a basic of a play as we've got," Richt said. "You say 'What's our No. 1 running play?' and that was it,'" They got penetration, obviously but you've still got to be able to secure that ball for a four- or five-yard loss. You've got to hold onto it, but we didn't. They made a play."

Defensive end Demarcus Dobbs said the Bulldogs have nobody to blame but themselves.

"We just lost a game but everyone is pretty much down. We thought we were going to ruin their party and get a victory," Dobbs said. "We didn't represent Georgia well; we didn't represent the SEC well. The only people we have to blame are ourselves."

Even the presence of A.J. Green could not lift the Bulldogs over the top.

Green was stellar, catching seven passes for 119 yards and two second-quarter touchdowns, including an amazing one-handed grab of a 3-yard pass that enabled the Bulldogs to draw within 14-10.
Minutes later, Green was on the receiving end of a 39-yard scoring pass from Aaron Murray before cramps forced the junior wideout to miss basically the entire third quarter after the Bulldogs went into half with a 20-14 lead.

Murray hit Marlon Brown with a 8-yard scoring pass to push the lead to 27-14, but with Green out, the Buffaloes were about to make their move.

First, it was 2-yard run by quarterback Tyler Hanson and subsequent two-point conversion which brought the Folsom Field crowd of 52,855 to its feet before Rodney Stewart scored from 11-yards out.

Blair Walsh brought the Bulldogs within two on a 20-yard field goal with 12:30 to play before King's fumble ended whatever Georgia had of winning the game.

"I handed the ball and it just came out," Murray said. "That's pretty much how it happened. You can't blame Caleb King for that. It just happens sometimes. You have to make sure you pick that guy up and he comes out and has a great week at practice."

The game started as bad as it ended from a Bulldog perspective.

Colorado jumped out to a 14-3 lead, including one on the Buffaloes' first possession of the game, the first straight week in which the opponent has tallied points on their opening drive.

But with his amazing one-handed grab, Green turned the game around.

Not only did the play do wonders for the offense, but it fired up the defense and special teams as well.

After the defense forced a quick three-and-out, Branden Smith returned the ensuing punt 36 yards, the team's longest of the year. On the very next play, Murray aired it out to Green who caught the ball in stride to complete the 39-yard score.

Blair Walsh added a field goal of 33 yards to account for the first-half score.

Murray enjoyed a solid game, completing 16-of-27 passes for 221 yards and three touchdowns, while King rushed 12 times for 100 yards.

Stewart enjoyed a stellar game for the Buffs, rushing 19 times for 149 yards and a touchdown.

...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!